[CentOS] Samba issues with Win 10

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Jun 28 14:45:46 UTC 2018

Walter H. wrote:
> On 28.06.2018 16:30, mark wrote:
>
>> Just ran into a problem: someone with a new laptop, running Win 10,
>> version 1709, tried to map their home directory (served from a CentOS 6.9
>> box, and it fails, with Windows complaining that it no longer supports
>> SMBv1, and if you go to their site, you can install support
>> for that manually....
>>
>> The server running samba can *not* be updated to 7 - we have a lot of
>> stuff based off it, and most of our users use it, one way or another, so
>> it's a major thing when we do finally upgrade (or, more likely, replace
>> the server).
>>
>> Has anyone run into this, and if so, any workarounds on the Linux end?
>>

> the solution is to enable SMBv1 in Win10 ... look for this in the
> Knowledge-Base of Microsoft
>
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and
> -disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and

Our desktop support person found that, but as I said, it is apparently a
manual install for desktop support. And is it the case that, although
we've shut off the lower level of security on samba on CentOS 6, that it's
still smbv1?

Are there any updates? Is there something in, say, the SCL that might
support smbv2, or is there some way to configure the regular smb to
support v2?

        mark