[CentOS] EXTERNAL: Samba issues with Win 10 (one last followup)

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Jun 28 18:26:01 UTC 2018

Fred Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 12:50:06PM -0400, mark wrote:
>> Wells, Roger K. wrote:

> Trouble is that smb v1 is horribly insecure. Even Microsoft tells
> people not to use it.
>>
>> And, since this is an office in a US federal gov't agency (civilian
>> sector, so budgets suck), there could be a dozen or two people, and I
>> understand we're getting in new laptops & desktops for a number of
>> folks with older systems, we're going to see more of this, and it's a
>> big issue, since the server that serves samba also does a lot else, and
>> that will affect almost everyone.
>
> I'd think the feds would have figured out that smb v1 is a bad
> protocol to  use and outlawed it.
<snip>

ROTFLMAO!

I know that there are folks who are running Windows XP... but those are
*not* on the open network, and have to have an internal firewall... but
they run software controlling machines that cost many millions of dollars,
and are still doing very good and useful work.

We're just slowly rolling out C7 (AND we have to encrypt it all, as we
do). But there's no budget to disrupt all the work everyone's doing. Hell,
staffing here is down about a third or more in the almost nine years I've
been here. But then, who needs to spend money on science, I mean, really?

   mark