[CentOS] move LDAP service to new server

Fri Jun 1 10:01:55 UTC 2018
Gary Stainburn <gary at ringways.co.uk>

On Thursday 31 May 2018 17:13:49 Ulf Volmer wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 03:57:43PM +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > Is there any (easy to follow) instructions anywhere to tell me how to
> > back up this service and restore it onto a new one?
>
> This is basically running slapcat on your old server and slapadd on the new
> one.
>
> openldap config can be either stored as files on disk or inside of the LDAP
> and must be handled separatly.
>
> best regards
> Ulf

Hi Ulf,

Thank you for this. Once I stopped Googling 'move' and tried backup / restore
instead I did manage to find quite a few postings about this. However
whenever I tried to follow these postings I came up with errors after
completing the move.

In the end I shut down slapd on both the old and new servers,
removed /etc/openldap and /var/lib/ldap, and then rsync'd the old files to
the new one

Once this was done, I restarted slapd on the old and new servers and both
worked perfectly