[CentOS] Postfix, system notifications and local servers

Mon Jun 25 08:39:29 UTC 2018
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Hi,

I have CentOS 7 running on half a dozen public servers. For some stuff
like automatic updates using yum-cron, I have Postfix installed with a
relatively basic configuration. This allows me to send important
notifications to my mail address info at microlinux.fr. When there's a
batch of updates, I get one mail per machine, so I can check quickly if
everything went OK without having to connect to the server.

Now I'd also like to use this setup on machines that aren't in a
datacenter and facing the Internet. For example, servers that have
"dummy" hostnames like nestor.microlinux.lan or sauvegarde.scholae.lan.
Is there a way I can setup Postfix so this machine can send an e-mail to
info at microlinux.fr, even if 'hostname --fqdn' returns a "dummy" hostname?

Cheers,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat