[CentOS] Convert from LVM

Fri Jun 8 18:00:44 UTC 2018
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

Do you mean you have a CentOS 7 VM which has partitioned is virtual disk (eg
/dev/vda) to have a LVM partition, which in turn has a logical volume for
root?

It should be possible create a fresh virtual disk, add it to the VM as
/dev/vdb (say), and then inside the CentOS 7 VM, partition the new disk into
however many partitions you need (say /dev/vdb1 for /boot, /dev/vdb2 for swap,
and /dev/vdb3 for /) and then use dd or use mkfs and rsync, etc. to copy the
file systems, go a grub-install on /dev/vdb and then stop the VM and remove
the /dev/vda disk from it and restart it.  Oh, you might need to make sure
the UUID or LABEL used to reference the root file system in the grub config
file is updated to reflect the new root (might not be needed if you used dd).

Unlike MS-Windows, Linux is (generally) perfectly happy to disk "transplants",
so long as you are careful about re-installing grub and making sure the grub
config has the right "magic".