[CentOS] CentOS7/Mate Qt bugs/features?

Fri Jun 15 19:14:19 UTC 2018
Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 6:50 PM, James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>
wrote:

> We have recently migrated from CentOS6/Gnome to CentOS7/Mate - and have
> noticed 'glitches' with some Qt applications that appears to be linked
> to the 'org.mate.Marco.general' 'compositing-manager' setting - and
> wondered how we 'fix' the issue ...

I tested with one environment where I have two VMs under oVirt 4.2 and I
connect to them using remote-viewer and spice in full screen mode.
One is a fully updated CentOS 7 VM
One is a (not fully up to date) Fedora 28 VM

Both using Mate as DE. On CentOS 7 Mate 1.16.2. On F28 1.20.1
I confirm on both the setting is true and I never tricked with it, so it
should be the default.

Below is a PyQT4 python script that shows the issues:

> 1. With 'compositing-manager' set to 'true' (I believe the default
> setting):
>
>   gsettings set org.mate.Marco.general compositing-manager true
>
> Running the script and the window background is transparent - which is fine
>
> However, if the pull down menu is selected and the 'Toggle' button
> pressed, the menu stays on the screen - and stays put even if the window
> is moved

I confirm exactly your behaviour with CentOS 7. The toggle makes the drop
down to remain expanded and if I move the window the drop down remains
where it was.
With F28 all is ok and as expected

> 2. With 'compositing-manager' set to 'false' :
>
>   gsettings set org.mate.Marco.general compositing-manager false
>
> Running the script and the window background is no longer transparent -
> which is not good, but the pull down menu issue is fine ...

I confirm no transaprent background on both and correct behaviour on both

> Using CentOS7/Gnome3 works as expected (transparent background and pull
> down menu is fine)

Not tried this

Anyone have any idea what the problem(s) might be and how to fix it/them ?

Unfortunately no...
Gianluca