[CentOS] CentOS Kernel Support

Mon Jun 18 13:39:51 UTC 2018
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 06/16/2018 02:15 PM, Stephen John Smoogen via CentOS wrote:
> On 15 June 2018 at 21:07, Keith Keller via CentOS <centos at centos.org> wrote:
>> On 2018-06-16, Johnny Hughes via CentOS <centos at centos.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> You agreed to an EULA that says you will not distribute things that you
>>> get from that paid subscription.  You can do it, and be in violation of
>>> the terms of your subscription.
>>
>> Is this enforceable with the GPLv2?  IIRC someone who distributes GPLv2
>> source code is not permitted to restrict other people's ability to
>> redistribute.  It could be an interesting legal test (that I don't think
>> CentOS should test :) )
>>

> This gets asked every couple of months for the last 18+ years. This
> has been the model that pretty much every enterprise company from
> Cygnus before Red Hat merged with it, to SuSE and Red Hat enforce
> their contracts. RMS has probably answered it so many times that he
> has an autoresponder on it.. so I would say ask him and see what he
> says.
>
> The general way it has been said is that this does not equal what the
> law sees as an additional restriction on the code. The restriction is
> on the support contract you have with Red Ha which is not promised in
> the GPL as being a right you have. The only licenses which do provide
> that amount and more requirements are code which are covered under the
> AGPL.

Right .. they aren't saying you can not distribute .. they are saying if
you chose to distribute to non customers .. you can't subscribe.  That
is not the same thing.

Given that they only do that for extended support items only, and that
they open source everything they buy from other companies, and allow for
10 years of building for CentOS. It seems to be they are very much more
open than most,

I don't see why its a problem to pay them for the very extended support
.. since that is very much harder to maintain than even the normal
backporting and releasng of security updates that they do (and provide
to all, NOT just customers).

That is, of course, a personal opinion.