[CentOS] Semi-OT: ipmitool or ipmicfg: set BMC to use NIC 2

Wed Jun 27 21:14:06 UTC 2018
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

> Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 16:50:55 -0500
> From: Jon Pruente <jpruente at riskanalytics.com>
>
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 4:10 PM, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>> So you're saying I should set the MAC address for the lan channel 1 to
>> the MAC address of the second NIC?
>
> No, you don't do anything to the MAC addresses on the BMC/IPMI. They
> already have their own preset values. You decide which port you want to
> use for IPMI from the ones it supports and set it up with various commands
> (or use the BIOS/UEFI). The gist of what you are doing is just
> setting up an > IP address on an embedded computer. It just so happens
> that that embedded computer can simultaneously communicate over the same
> ports as the host computer and may also/instead have its own
>  dedicated port.
>
> If you give ipmitool an incomplete command it will print out the list of
> further options.
<snip>
> For a static IP on the second port you'd use
>
> lan set 2 ipaddr 10.0.0.15 (whatever your desired IP is) lan set 2 netmask
> 255.255.255.0 (or whatever your matching netmask should
> be) lan set 2 defgw ipaddr 10.0.0.1 (or whatever your gateway is)

Well, that didn't work - Channel 2 is not a LAN channel!

> If you want to use DHCP then find the MAC with

NO!!! I do not want this ever asking for an IP. There's no management
port, dunno why, but the only thing where it should be is a couple of
pieces of thin, bent metal, and nothing, apparently, damaged.

I do see one option of "defgw macaddr" - is that supposed to be a MAC
external to the server, or can I use the MAC of eth1 (or whatever the
stupid, unrememberable name is)?

       mark