[CentOS] Going back to a minimal system : strange problem

Gordon Messmer

gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 03:33:52 UTC 2018

On 02/26/2018 09:25 AM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
>> I wonder if it might work to use a yum transaction, in which you
>> first remove everything (which avoids the need for the list
>> entirely), then adds the minimal package set, and then commits the
>> transaction...
> I only have a very vague notion of yum transactions, so I'll look into
> that and report back.

My idea was:

    # yum shell
     > transaction
     > remove *
    Skipping the running kernel: kernel-3.10.0-693.11.1.el7.x86_64
     > install @core
     > run

...but that doesn't work.  First, because it complains that @core has no
packages to install, but second and more importantly, it appears that
even if you get the package selection right it will remove and reinstall
the packages.  I'm not positive that'll break, but offhand, it doesn't
look like the transaction would have been a workable solution.  You
know, in case you were curious.  :)