[CentOS] latest skype (version 8.16.0.4) on Centos 7

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Mar 5 18:53:16 UTC 2018

Hi all!

I've finally been reduced to having to install Skype on my Linux box.
I resisted for years, but now ended up trying it.

and while the latest RPM installs just fine, it refuses to acknowledge
that I have a microphone!

In fact I have two: 1 in the USB web cam (it finds the cam), the second
in a Plantronics USB headset, which works fine but not with skype.
it is as if it doesn't exist.

So, when I connect to someone I can hear them, see them, and they can
see me, but I'm producing no sound output.

All the web hits I can find for nonfunctional microphone on the web
are for Ubuntu. GAH!

running ldd against the skypeforlinux binary results in a huge list
of shared libraries, including libasound (which is what the ubuntu
messages say is missing).

Anybody got a clue?

Thanks in advance!

Fred