[CentOS] RADIUS

hw hw at gc-24.de
Wed Mar 7 14:26:50 UTC 2018

Pete Biggs wrote:

>> That´s not my problem to solve, but think about it:  You can get a lot more
>> information using CCTV cameras, and those are everywhere.  Unfortunately,
>> nobody cares, and it´s not like you have a choice.  So why would there
>> be any legal issues?
>
> It's called "A Law". Different places have different laws. Different
> places have different attitudes towards being lawful.
>

>> I´m surprised that wireless access point controllers, by default, do not
>> use the strength of the signal received from a device by three or more access
>> points to simply triangulate the position of the device.  Of course, you
>> only get the positions of devices relative to access points, but once you
>> have that, you only need to use a map of the place that shows all the access
>> points and the positions of devices relative to them to figure out where
>> everyone is.
>
> I'm surprised you didn't find anything about this on Google - you did
> try Google didn't you?
>
>     http://bfy.tw/GtiP

You´ve cheated by using different search terms than I did ...

> top hit
>
>    https://www.accuware.com/

They use video or bluetooth, not wireless.

> or this paper
>
>    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/542561/wi-fi-trick-gives-devices-super-accurate-indoor-location-fixes/

They are doing it the other way round by having the device use the signal
strengths of access points to triangulate its own position by using
specialized hard- and software to solve accuracy problems.

Anyway, these are both interesting references.

> OK. I know I said before it was basically impossible - but I hadn't
> googled for it then. It just goes to show that asking CentOS admins
> about cutting edge WiFi issues is not going to get you very far.

Well, we asked someone who might know how to do it and they never responded,
so asking people who don´t know gets you even farther than asking people
who do.