[CentOS] VirtualBox on CentOS 7 with bridged network not working

James Pearson james-p at moving-picture.com
Fri Mar 16 10:25:18 UTC 2018

James Pearson wrote:

> I've installed VirtualBox v5.2 on a CentOS 7.4 machine, but VMs set up
> with bridged networking can not 'see' past the VirtualBox host machine
>
> i.e. the VM can ping the host and vice versa, but the VM can not ping
> anything else and other machines on the same subnet can't ping the VM
>
> There are no firewall rules configured on the 7.4 host and selinux is
> disabled
>
> I have a similar set up on a CentOS 6.9 host, where everything works as
> expected
>
> Googling doesn't show up any similar issues, so I guess I'm missing
> something on the host machine
>
> Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue?

I've manged to 'solve' the problem - which wasn't anything to do with
CentOS 7 ... the host running CentOS 7 was patched into a switch with
MAC access control enabled - as were the two other CentOS 7 boxes I
tried - whereas the CentOS 6 host(s) I used had no MAC access control
enabled

Just wish it hadn't taken me nearly a day to work that out :-)

Sorry for the noise

James Pearson