[CentOS] Install CentOS 7 over serial port on router board ?

isdtor isdtor at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 13:21:23 UTC 2018

Nicolas Kovacs writes:
> Hi,
>
> I have to install CentOS 7 for a client, to act as cache & filtering
> proxy using Squid.
>
> I'd like to use this piece of specialized hardware :
>
> http://store.calexium.com/fr/systeme-pre-assemble/869-systeme-pre-assemble-rackmatrix-apu-amd-gx-412tc-quatre-coeurs-1-ghz.html
>
> There is no VGA or HDMI video output, just a serial port to connect to,
> and then three NICs and two USB ports.
>
> I've never installed CentOS over a serial console, so I don't even know
> if it's possible in the first place. Has anyone ever done something like
> that ?
>
> Any suggestions ?

I haven't done this with Linux, only Soekris+OpenBSD, but the principles are the same. PXE, kickstart, monitoring via serial port. Change console settings to point to the serial port as per Giles. Use a USB-to-serial converter to connect to a laptop running a terminal program, or serial cable with a dekstop that still has a serial port. May need a null-modem cable, I don't remember.