[CentOS] [LEARNING OUTCOME] Wi-Fi WPA Hacking Tool is Totally Useless on New Wireless Routers

Mon Mar 19 07:10:00 UTC 2018
Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <tdteoenming at gmail.com>

Hi,

I am sharing my learning outcomes.

Recently I downloaded Kali Linux 64-bit Version 2018.1 and ran it on
my HP laptop with the integrated Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
Wireless Network Card.

I wanted to test if I could hack the Wi-Fi WPA password on Ruckus R700
Access Point (AP) and the Aztech DSL8900GR(AC) Wireless Router. So I
started using the Reaver WPA cracking tool.

I understand that the Reaver tool works because there is a bug with
Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS).

I have no luck with Reaver on the Ruckus R700 Access Point. After
running Reaver, I found out that WPS is permanently disabled on the
Ruckus R700 AP with no option to turn it back on at all. Hence It is
not possible to hack the WPA password on Ruckus R700 AP.

Understanding that I couldn't do anything further with Ruckus R700 AP,
I proceeded to test Reaver on the Aztech DSL8900GR(AC) wireless
router. In this case, I also found out that WPS is disabled by default
on the Aztech wireless router. Reaver will not be useful at all if WPS
is disabled. But there is an option to enable WPS. So I enabled WPS in
the Aztech wireless router configuration page. And continued testing
with Reaver. But because Aztech wireless router has the rate limiting
security feature, brute force password attacks will be very slow and
probably take forever. The rate limiting security feature on the
Aztech wireless router is meant to slow you down when you are brute
forcing the WPS pin.

So here is my conclusion: Reaver Wi-Fi WPA hacking tool is totally
useless on new wireless routers which have the WPS disabled or have
implemented a fix for the WPS bug. Are there any other WPA cracking
tools which I can use in my educational learning journey? Please
advise.

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Singapore
13 March 2018 Tuesday 4:28 PM Singapore Time

===BEGIN SIGNATURE===

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic Qualifications as at 30 Oct 2017

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] http://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

===END SIGNATURE===