[CentOS] Next major version of Firefox on RHEL/CentOS ?

Mon Mar 19 15:32:24 UTC 2018
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

I know CentOS don't have inside info on what Redhat may or may not do in
the future - plus Redhat don't usually announce publicly what their
future plans are - but on the off-chance that someone on this list may know:

Does anyone know what Redhat are likely to do with the next major
release of Firefox on RHEL (and hence CentOS) ?

The reason I ask, is that RHEL has been supplying the 'ESR' (Extended
Support Release) version of Firefox - which Mozilla supports for about a
year - and RHEL moves to each new ESR version before Mozilla drops
support for the previous version.

Up until the current version of ESR (52), the major versions have been
mostly compatible, but the next release of ESR (60) has some major
changes - which include:

* No support for NPAPI plugins - except for Flash - i.e. no support for
plugins like Java etc

* No support for XUL/XPCOM/legacy add-ons - will only support
'WebExtensions'

* Requires gtk3 run-time support - which isn't available with
RHEL/CentOS 6 (currently Firefox for both el6 and el7 use the gtk2
run-time libraries)

I know it's a long shot, but I'm just trying to work out what changes I
will need to make when ESR 52 reaches its EOL in August this year ...

Thanks

James Pearson