[CentOS] Web site not responding with Firefox 52.6.0 (64-bit)

Sun Mar 4 00:55:04 UTC 2018
dsavage at peaknet.net <dsavage at peaknet.net>

I don't know if this is a CentOS7/Firefox problem or one with the distant
web site slashdot.org. I can connect to it just fine with the latest
Firefox on my Windows 10 desktop PC, but not with Firefox 52.6.0 on this
CentOS 7.4 laptop. This has been an on-going problem for several weeks.

Google search results are sketchy. slashdot.org may have been a DDOS
target today, but as I write this network monitors say it's up and
running. RC4 deprecation may be a factor, but I doubt it. I can traceroute
to the site just fine, and its URL resolves with no trouble.

The error message I'm getting is "The connection has timed out"

The URL I've used forever is:
https://slashdot.org/index2.pl?fhfilter=journal&source=autorefresh&nobeta=1

I'm stumped. Does this sound familiar to anyone in CentOS land?

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL