[CentOS] Squid and HTTPS interception on CentOS 7 ?

Mon Mar 5 17:57:39 UTC 2018
Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>

> Am 05.03.2018 um 15:34 schrieb Bill Gee <bgee at campercaver.net>:
>

> On Monday, March 5, 2018 7:23:53 AM CST Leon Fauster wrote:

>>> After a week of trial and error, transparent HTTPS filtering works
>>> perfectly. I wrote a detailed blog article about it.
>>>
>>> https://blog.microlinux.fr/squid-https-centos/
>>
>> I wonder if this works with all https enabled sites? Chrome has
>> capabilities hardcoded to check google certificates. Certificate
>> Transparency, HTTP Public Key Pinning, CAA DNS are also supporting
>> the end node to identify MITM. I hope that such setup will be unpractical
>> in the near future.
>>
>> About your legal requirements; Weighing is what courts daily do. So,
>> such requirements are not asking you to destroy the integrity and
>> confidentiality >95% of users activity. Blocking Routing, DNS, IPs,
>> Ports are the way to go.
>>
>> --
>> LF
>
> Although not really related to CentOS, I do have some thoughts on this.  I
> used to work in the IT department of a public library.  One of the big
> considerations at a library is patron privacy.  We went to great lengths to
> NOT record what web sites were visited by our patrons.  We also deny requests
> from anyone to find out what books a patron has checked out.
>
> The library is required by law to provide web filtering, mainly because we
> have public-use computers which are used by children.  For http this is easy.
> Https is, as this discussion reveals, a different animal.
>
> We started to set up a filter which would run directly on our router (Juniper
> SRX-series) using EWF software.  It quickly became apparent that any kind of
> https filtering requires a MITM attack.  We were basically decrypting the
> patron's web traffic on our router, then encrypting it again with a different
> cert.
>
> When we realized what it would take, we had a HUGE internal discussion about
> how to proceed.  Yeah, the lawyers were all over it!  In the end we decided to
> not attempt to filter https traffic except by whatever was not encrypted.
> Basically that means web site names.
>
> Our test case was the Playboy web site.  They are available on https, but they
> do not automatically redirect http to https.  If you open playboy [dot] com
> with no protocol specified, it goes over http.  Our existing filter blocked
> that.  However, if you open https[colon]// playboy [dot] com, it goes straight
> in.  The traffic never goes over http, so the filter on the router never
> processes it.
>
> Security by obscurity ...  It was the best we could do without violating our
> own policies on patron privacy.

All browsers sent "server_name" [*] in there https requests. That is the domain part of
the URI. So, you can identify the requested https site without decrypting (because its
"lets call it a header" that includes this information) and without damaging the privacy.

[*] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6066

--
LF