[CentOS] latest skype (version 8.16.0.4) on Centos 7

Tue Mar 6 02:21:26 UTC 2018
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 09:29:51PM +0100, wwp wrote:
> Hello Fred,
>

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 13:53:16 -0500 Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
>
> > I've finally been reduced to having to install Skype on my Linux box.
> > I resisted for years, but now ended up trying it.
> >
> > and while the latest RPM installs just fine, it refuses to acknowledge
> > that I have a microphone!
> >
> > In fact I have two: 1 in the USB web cam (it finds the cam), the second
> > in a Plantronics USB headset, which works fine but not with skype.
> > it is as if it doesn't exist.
> >
> > So, when I connect to someone I can hear them, see them, and they can
> > see me, but I'm producing no sound output.
> >
> > All the web hits I can find for nonfunctional microphone on the web
> > are for Ubuntu. GAH!
> >
> > running ldd against the skypeforlinux binary results in a huge list
> > of shared libraries, including libasound (which is what the ubuntu
> > messages say is missing).
>
> Using the same skype version (and former ones), with various
> input/output hardware (not the ones you have), I encounter no issue
> here with sound setup (I know this doesn't help, sorry). Are you able
> to use the hardware you described, especially the input device, with
> other software in this CentOS7, starting with alsamixer?

the Plantronics USB headset works great as both earphones and as a mic.
I use it regularly for videoconferences using various web-based
meeting/conference apps.

whenever I plug in the USB headset I have to use pavucontrol to manage
sound. whenever it is not plugged in, I use the sound app in the upper
menu, which turns out to be mate-volume-control (yes, I use the Mate
desktop, not Gnome). This seems weird, but I've grown used to it.

With skype, the audio settings menu refuses to admit to there being any
such audio device attached to the system.

Subsequent to my posting, I discovered that my ancient analog phone/mic
headset works with skype, so I'm more or less set--except I like the
Plantronics a lot better. it (the analog one, not the USB) has two 1/8
inch phone plugs, one pink, one green. plug 'em into the pink and green
jacks, hack at the sound settings for a while, turn off the speakers
(cause the system won't mute them when the phones are plugged in)
and voila.

Fred

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.