[CentOS] NIC naming conventions and vmware

Wed Mar 7 21:19:12 UTC 2018
Clint Dilks <clint.dilks at waikato.ac.nz>

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 9:31 AM, John Ratliff <john at bluemarble.net> wrote:

> I have a couple of CentOS 7 machines running in a vmware environment. On
> all the older ones I've deployed, the NIC is named ens160, but on all of
> the new ones, it is named ens192. I can't find any difference in the
> hardware that would account for this.
>
> Any suggestions on what I can do to figure out why some are named ens160
> and some ens192?

Hi John,

This may not be helpful but I can confirm that you should be getting
consistent naming.
Normally I actually get something like eno16777984  But I have a couple
systems that get named in the way that you mention.  When this happens I
normally see ens160 as the first nic and 192 if a second is defined.
I haven't dug too deeply into this but I would suggest that you look at the
udev rules that are defined in /etc/udev/rules.d/ and see if this explains
what is happening.   You may also want to check that the VMware Hardware
version is what you expect.