[CentOS] CentOS 6 i386 - meltdown and spectre

Fri Mar 9 22:01:01 UTC 2018
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 09/03/18 19:16, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 10:46 AM, Peter Wood <peterwood.sd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I'm stuck with a few 32bit systems exposed to customers and I have
>> to come up with an answer to their question about meltdown/spectre. At this
>> point all I can say is that Red Hat hasn't patched 32bit systems but that
>> is hard to believe so I assumed that I'm wrong and decided to ask the
>> community.
>
> According to a Q&A page about Meltdown and Spectre:
>
> Question - Is the patch available for 32 bit RHEL 6.9?
> Answer - 32-bit patches are pending, being of lower priority than our
> RHEL 5 work at this time.
>
> Apparently, it is not getting a high priority.
>
> Akemi

I note Red Hat released el5 kernel updates on Wednesday for Meltdown and
Spectre for both i386 and x86_64 architectures [RHSA-2018:0464-01], so
maybe 32-bit rhel6 is next on the list (seems strange to me that Red Hat
would prioritize RHEL5 over RHEL6, but there you go).

There is also a handy script to check the status on your systems here:

https://github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker

I do not have any el6 systems running so have not tried it on el6.