[CentOS] How Can I ...

Fri Mar 23 23:22:22 UTC 2018
Christian, Mark <mark.christian at intel.com>

On Fri, 2018-03-23 at 22:57 +0000, Tom Bishop wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2018, 5:50 PM Eugene Poole <etpoole60 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I've got a WD My Passport Ultra 1TB (USB) plugged into my router and I
> > have 4 Windows machines, all running Windows 7, and all 4 machines can
> > see the device as drive 'Y'. I use this device several ways, i.e. all my
> > Windows machines use the same Firefox bookmarks and cookies
> >
> > I've got 5 machines running CentOS 6 x86_64 and I'd like to know what do
> > I have to do for them to 'see' that same 1TB device? Right now I use
> > winscp to get the data from CentOS and save it on the device via Windows.
> >
> > --
> > Eugene Poole
> > Woodstock, Georgia

> I would assume they are being shared via smb for your windows machines, I
> would read up on accessing winblows file shares with centos. Most likely
> you will need to install samba in order to see the shares.
>
> If you can provide more details on how the router is sharing the files for
> windows we can provide more detailed guidance.
something similar to this might work for you

$ sudo mount.cifs //192.168.1.254/share /mnt -ouser=route_account,vers=2.0

vers=2.0 might not be necessary for you if your router supports more modern
versions of smb or if you are not running a newish kernel that defaults to 3.0

man mount.cifs

The default since v4.13.5 is for the client and server to negotiate the highest
possible version greater than or equal to 2.1. In kernels prior to v4.13, the
default was 1.0. For kernels between v4.13 and v4.13.5 the default is 3.0.

Mark