[CentOS] OT: hardware: sanitizing a dead SSD?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue May 8 19:46:00 UTC 2018

On 8 May 2018 at 15:34,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> Anyone have any clues about how to sanitize a dead SSD? We haven't had it
> yet, but we're sure it's coming. Esp. since I'm a federal contractor, a
> dead disk gets deGaussed, but what the hell do you do with a SSD?

SSD disks must be shredded as the data has been written over multiple
sectors many times to 'even the writes'. This allows for even a 'dead'
disk to be disassembled with 'off-the-shelf' equipment to extract
items from the dead places. Depending on the data involved, there may
be different levels of shredding and destruction of shreds required.

Stephen J Smoogen.