[CentOS] Latest CentOS does not boot, Proliant ML330 G6

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri May 11 19:52:44 UTC 2018

Jari Fredriksson wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I just upgraded to the latest and tried to reboot: kernel panic and dead
> as a brick.
>
> Luckily GRUB still works and booting the to the next option in boot menu
> succeeds.
>
> How can this be? This OS is assumed to be solid as a brick :)

Do you have any excludes in /etc/yum.conf? We had an issue about a year
ago, where, in spite of exclude kernel, someone other than me ran an
update, or there was some auto-update, I don't remember, and it appeared
to *partly* install the kernel... and did not appear to do any
post-install actions (like building the ramdisk). I reinstalled the
kernel, with my usual disableexcludes=all, and the upgrade succeeded, and
all was good.

       mark