[CentOS] Centos 7.5 and Courier 10 Pitch fonts in Libreoffice

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sun May 13 16:00:00 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-05-12 at 20:27 +0100, Phil Wyett wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-05-12 at 14:05 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> > On Sat, 2018-05-12 at 12:17 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> > > Everyone,
> > >
> > > With the update to Centos 7.5 it is apparent that we lost the
> > > Courier
> > > 10 Pitch fonts that were in "xorg-x11-fonts-Type1".  Does anyone
> > > know
> > > how to get this back.
> > >
> > > Greg Ennis
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Type 1 font support was dropped for 5.3. See below article.
> >
> > http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Off-the-Beat-Bruce-Byfie
> > ld-s
> > -Blog/LibreOffice-drops-Type-1-font-support
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Phil

> > Phil,
> >
> > Thanks very much, you saved me a bunch of time trying to debug
> > this.
> > However, I surely wish LibreOffice had not taken this course of
> > action.
> > The comments in the link you gave me makes reference to a fix in
> > the
> > "Advanced" tools of LibreOffice by changing the "TextLayoutEngine"
> > "old" but I was not able to identify this flag in LibreOffice
> > 5.3.6.1.
> >
> > Looks like the days of the Courier 10 Pitch font have concluded.
> >
> > Greg
>

> Hi,
>
> On a test VM, I have managed to find the flag and set it.
>
> Tools -> Options -> (LibreOffice) Advanced -> Open Expert
> Configuration
> (button).
>
> When dialog appears. Insert and search for 'TextLayoutEngine'. Double
> click on
> 'VCL' and change from 'new' to 'old' and 'OK' button your way back to
> writer.
> Close writer and restart and you will have the font requested back
> for use.
>
> Regards
>
> Phil

Hi,

Hold that thought. Once changed it is very buggy (no cursor) and not
working
correctly when you try use Courier Pitch 10.

Shame...

Regards

Phil

Phil,

Thanks again, sure appreciate your help!!!

I have started the process of trying to replace our templates with a
new font.  'Liberation mono' is a close match, but for some reason I
don't like the way it looks when the whole page of type is scanned all
together.

Greg