[CentOS] CentOS 7.5 (1804) and NetworkManager

Nicolas Kovacs

info at microlinux.fr
Tue May 15 10:40:06 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm running CentOS on all kinds of setups: servers, workstations,
desktops and laptops.

Up until now, I'm only using NetworkManager on laptops, since it makes
sense to use it there. On servers and desktop clients, I usually remove
it and configure the network "traditionally" by simply editing
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-whatever, /etc/resolv.conf,
/etc/hosts, /etc/hostname and /etc/sysconfig/network. Running
NetworkManager on anything else than a laptop has never made any sense
to me, since it's basically an extra layer of abstraction.

With the latest update, the removal of NetworkManager on a desktop
client isn't possible anymore, since 'yum remove NetworkManager' also
tries to remove 'gdm', and disabling it on startup spews back all sorts
of errors.

If you folks at Red Hat are reading this, I have one question: WHY ?

Niki Kovacs
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Site : https://www.microlinux.fr
Blog : https://blog.microlinux.fr