[CentOS] Various applications freeze regularly since CentOS 7.5 update

Frank Thommen

list.centos at drosera.ch
Mon May 28 14:46:57 UTC 2018

Hi,

since we have upgraded to CentOS 7.5 (from CentOS 7.4), we experience
frequent, but not reproducible, freezes of various applications:
Thunderbird, Firefox, LibreOffice.  Usually the application process
keeps running with PPID 1 w/o being killable (not even with SIGKILL).
Freezes of Thunderbird are usually followed by Firefox crashing a few
minutes later.  The only possible solution we found is a complete
workstation reboot :-(.

Other problems are that many Gnome extensions are not working any more
and also cannot be installed from extensions.gnome.org any more and
logging in via gdm (LDAP, homedirectories on NFS share) is considerably
slower than with 7.4.

I don't know if these issues are related, if they are symptoms of a more
global problem and I am at a loss on how to debug them, as they appear
from time to time but not not reproducibly..

Any hints or reports of own experiences are highly appreciated.

Cheers
frank