[CentOS] Video troubles after 7.5 upgrade using CR repo

Thu May 10 09:37:13 UTC 2018
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Hi,

Our desktop clients are running CentOS 7 with the Xfce desktop from
EPEL. The CR repository is enabled. A few days ago I launched an update,
which brought in close to 1 GB of packages.

I had some weird problems on two clients. One is an old Dell Optiplex
330 with a legacy video card.

[root at cybermule:/] # lspci | grep -i vga

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200/1100]

After the update, X wouldn't start anymore, and there was no way to make
it behave. I had to reinstall everything and disable the CR repo (or
more precisely not enable it in the first place). After this, things
went back to normal.

On another desktop client, a more recent Dell Optiplex 780, this is what
the video card looks like.

[root at littlesister:/] # lspci | grep -i vga

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

On this machine I have some weird screen artefacts. When opening a
window - any window - there is a sort of a black flash. Meaning the
window is a black square, and then the content appears.

Plus, on LibreOffice, when doing things like modifying tabs in a
document, the tab lines are persistent all over the screen. Very ugly,
and the secretary complains about not being able to work correctly.

Any idea what's happening here? Until now, CentOS 7 never gave me this
sort of headaches.

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat