[CentOS] OT: hardware: sanitizing a dead SSD?

Wed May 9 13:46:30 UTC 2018
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On 9 May 2018 at 07:18, Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-05-09 at 13:00 +0200, Leon Fauster wrote:

>> > SSD disks must be shredded as the data has been written over multiple
>> > sectors many times to 'even the writes'. This allows for even a 'dead'
>> > disk to be disassembled with 'off-the-shelf' equipment to extract
>> > items from the dead places. Depending on the data involved, there may
>> > be different levels of shredding and destruction of shreds required.
>>

>> What would someone use to do this? An industrial blender, circular saw ...?
>>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE8kwu3dm3o
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqW4djlQUoE

Yes. Depending on the data type, the 'dust' at the other end may need
to be ground through another machine so that all parts are less than
some specified size ( I think it was below 0.5 cm x 0.5 cm x0.5cm.)
Then again depending on the data type, those bits are poured into
concrete or taken to a specialized chemical incinerator.