[CentOS] OT: hardware: sanitizing a dead SSD?

Thu May 10 16:00:57 UTC 2018

Sean wrote:
> Probably too late for consideration at this point, but there are
> Enterprise Class SSDs available with DoD/NSA certified/approved self
encryption
> capability.  The concept is that encryption is a hardware feature of the
> drive, when you want to dispose of it, you throw away the key.  This
> allows vendors to receive broken drives back from GOV/MIL clients
securely so
> that failure methods can be researched.
>
> Dell and EMC have been presenting this to us at storage briefs for a
> couple of years now.

On the one hand, it's certainly not too late - we're trying to figure out
what to do *before* it happens, so we don't run around like chickens with
their head cut off when it does.

On the other hand... static, and unchanging, right, and how many minutes
of Amazon S3 will it take to break the encryption?

      mark