[CentOS] Yum-cron

Fri May 11 16:01:04 UTC 2018
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On 11 May 2018 at 11:36,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> Ok, I've just had issues this morning, and went and *looked*. I can see a
> yum-cron running monthly, sure. Running weekly, I guess. Running daily?
> Why?
>
> And there is *NO* reason whatever for a "yum-hourly*. None. This is
> CentOS, not ubuntu-snapshot-of-the-moment.
>
> I don't know if this is from upstream or not, but it's wrong. I mean, even
> Redmond only pushes out patches once or twice a month, except for critical
> fixes.,,,.

So first off I am not seeing this installed by default on my EL-7
systems so something/someone installed yum-cron . Now if someone has
installed this package, they also have to have edited the
configuration file  /etc/yum/yum-cron.conf

# Whether updates should be applied when they are available.  Note
# that download_updates must also be yes for the update to be applied.
apply_updates = no

If that is not set to no.. someone has changed it from the defaults.
In that case.. you need to find out who made the changes. All yum-cron
is meant to do is make the cache updated to the latest so various
other tools can alert a user that updates are needed. Otherwise you
end up with someone keeping a box months out of date and then
complaining that no one told them that they needed to update 4000
packages.

If you need more control over testing before release, then you need to
set up your own internal mirror which you can gate updates to. At that
point you get the yum repos pointed to that mirror versus the world
and you control your destiny.