[CentOS] Latest CentOS does not boot, Proliant ML330 G6

Sat May 12 08:39:23 UTC 2018
Jari Fredriksson <jarif at iki.fi>

> m.roth at 5-cent.us kirjoitti 11.5.2018 kello 22.52:
>
> Jari Fredriksson wrote:
>> Hello all.
>>
>> I just upgraded to the latest and tried to reboot: kernel panic and dead
>> as a brick.
>>
>> Luckily GRUB still works and booting the to the next option in boot menu
>> succeeds.
>>
>> How can this be? This OS is assumed to be solid as a brick :)
>>
> Do you have any excludes in /etc/yum.conf? We had an issue about a year
> ago, where, in spite of exclude kernel, someone other than me ran an
> update, or there was some auto-update, I don't remember, and it appeared
> to *partly* install the kernel... and did not appear to do any
> post-install actions (like building the ramdisk). I reinstalled the
> kernel, with my usual disableexcludes=all, and the upgrade succeeded, and
> all was good.

Appears there are unfinished transactions pending… I’m now running yum-complete-transaction and then trying to boot.

Hard to say what it panicked for, as anything in /var/log/ tells afterwards… All boot.log -versions before this day are 0 bytes.

br. jarif