[CentOS] OT Hardware Forum

Tue May 15 23:48:15 UTC 2018
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 06:51:42PM -0400, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> Hey Y'all,
>
> Is there a forum where I can discuss hardware and CentOS 7?  I'm
> considering building a new desktop system specifically designed for
> CentOS 7 and the Folding At Home project.
>
> This mail list seams to be oriented toward CentOS software issues
> not hardware discussions.

Mark:

Perhaps that is a fair question to post on one of the FAH fora?

I ran FAH on my desktop Linux system for some years, mostly as
CPU only. The last couple years I ran it it had enough GPU to run
the GPU client. I had an old Nvidia card, upgraded to a newer one
(but still not near top'o'the line), a GTX-750 ti, which did 2 or
3 times the folding performance of the old one, for less power usage.

however, there was enough load from the process(es) that served the
GPU that I became really annoyed by the very laggy desktop performance
of my home computer system, plus our electricity consumption or rather
the size of our electricity bill, has caused me to stop folding.

I like what they do and liked participating for many years, but
other things got in the way enough for me to quit.

But I digress... Are you on the Centos team? If so you'll probably
see me near the top, even though I haven't folded for some time.

Good luck!

Fred
                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.