[CentOS] Password recovery trick not working on CentOS

Wed May 30 06:16:31 UTC 2018
John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com>

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 07:54:34AM +0200, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:

> I tried this out of curiosity on a CentOS 7 sandbox machine, and this
> doesn't seem to work anymore. I can boot to a 'bash' console and set the
> password OK. But this password doesn't seem to work on the subsequent
> normal boot.
>
> Anybody knows why this is so?

Most likely you didn't relabel the filesystem.  Please take a look at
https://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/ResetRootPassword - bottom of the
page and the link to access.redhat.com's writeup.

							John
--
I consider the media to be indispensable to democracy,  We need an independent
media to hold people like me to account.  Power can be very addictive and it

-- Former President George W Bush, "Today" show interview, 27 February 2017