[CentOS] Red Hat is Planning To Deprecate KDE on RHEL By 2024

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Nov 2 20:35:40 UTC 2018

> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/02/rhel_deprecates_kde/
>
> That's still several years in the future, of course.
>
> I use Mate on all of my machines rather than Gnome or KDE and I'm sure
> many of you fine folks do the same.
>
> But it's interesting nonetheless.

I one of the few (?) people who use "none of the above" (meaning all of the
"modern" desktop managers).  I use fvwm in MWM mode and have a Tcl/Tk coded
"menu manager" program.  My screen looks almost like a 1980s vintage
VaxStation 3000 running DECWindows.  Right now on C6 and using as little of
Gnome2 as it will let me (one panel).  File Manage set to /bin/true. No
"start" menu nonsense, no desktop icons either, just a fvwm iconbox for
running programs and a 10 element Workspace switcher.  And yes, I use actual
xterms.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933