[CentOS] Red Hat is Planning To Deprecate KDE on RHEL By 2024

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Fri Nov 2 20:49:47 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 04:35:40PM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> I one of the few (?) people who use "none of the above" (meaning all of the
> "modern" desktop managers).  I use fvwm in MWM mode and have a Tcl/Tk coded
> "menu manager" program.  My screen looks almost like a 1980s vintage
> VaxStation 3000 running DECWindows.  Right now on C6 and using as little of
> Gnome2 as it will let me (one panel).  File Manage set to /bin/true. No
> "start" menu nonsense, no desktop icons either, just a fvwm iconbox for
> running programs and a 10 element Workspace switcher.  And yes, I use actual
> xterms.

Well, I use Xfce, but I understand your approach (as someone used to
write just an .xsession file for startup etc.).  I have to admit some
panel stuff is pretty ok (like battery applet, network applet for
switching wifi and vpn's etc.).  Terminals with tabs (Xfce terminal)
are nice to have too: my desktop is mainly 4-8 terminals with each
4+ tabs and a browser ;-).

I was happy with the release of GNOME 3 afterwards, because it forced
me to leave GNOME completely and switch to something better, Xfce :-).

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>
--    X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV   |   Office: +31 20 6938364