[CentOS] Red Hat is Planning To Deprecate KDE on RHEL By 2024

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 2 20:58:06 UTC 2018

On 11/2/18 3:35 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/02/rhel_deprecates_kde/
>>
>> That's still several years in the future, of course.
>>
>> I use Mate on all of my machines rather than Gnome or KDE and I'm sure
>> many of you fine folks do the same.
>>
>> But it's interesting nonetheless.
>
> I one of the few (?) people who use "none of the above" (meaning all of the
> "modern" desktop managers).  I use fvwm in MWM mode and have a Tcl/Tk coded
> "menu manager" program.  My screen looks almost like a 1980s vintage
> VaxStation 3000 running DECWindows.  Right now on C6 and using as little of
> Gnome2 as it will let me (one panel).  File Manage set to /bin/true. No
> "start" menu nonsense, no desktop icons either, just a fvwm iconbox for
> running programs and a 10 element Workspace switcher.  And yes, I use actual
> xterms.

Indeed, my alternatives to Mate would/may be one the these.
Interestingly, some people when they see my screen (I'm sysadmin
supporting a couple of Departments, about 300 people) ask "what Linux
distribution do you have". I have to explain that that is Mate desktop
environment... and it is actually FreeBSD, not Linux I run on my
workstation. I don't know, it sounds like even people who are quite
familiar with Linux to even ask that question, are not that familiar
that that is the Desktop Environment for X11 that mostly defines "look
and feel". World is different from what it was a decade ago ;-)

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago