[CentOS] inquiry about limitation of file system

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 14:39:55 UTC 2018

On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 at 04:17, yf chu <cyflhn at 163.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your hint.
> I really mean I am planning to  store  millions of files on the file system.
> Then may I ask that what is the maximum number of files which could be stored in one directory without affecting the performance of web server?

There is no simple answer to that. It will depend on everything from
the physical drives used, the hardware that connects the motherboard
to the drives, the size of the cache and type of CPU on the system,
any low level filesystem items (software/hardware raid, type of raid,
redundancy of the raid, etc), the type of the file system, the size of
the files, the layout of directory structure, and the metadata
connected to those files and needing to be checked.

Any one of those can severely affect partially performance of the
web-server, and multiple combinations of them can severely affect it.
This means a lot of benchmarking for the hardware and os are needed to
get an idea if any of the tuning of number of files per directory will
make things better or not. I have seen many systems where the hardware
worked better with a certain type of RAID and it didn't matter if you
had 10,000 or 100 files in each directory.. the changes in performance
were minimal but moving from RAID10 to RAID6 or vice versa sped things
up much more.. or adding more cache to the hardware controller etc
etc.

Assuming you have tuned all of that, then the number of files in the
directory comes down to a 'gut' check. I have seen some people do some
sort of power of 2 per directory but rarely go over 1024. if you do a
3 level double hex tree <[0-f][0-f]>/<[0-f][0-f]>/<[0-f][0-f]>/ and
lay them out using some sort of file hash method.. you can easily sit
256 files in each directory and have 2^32 files.. You will probably
end up with some hot spots depending on the hash method so it would be
good to test that first.

> At 2018-11-03 16:03:56, "Walter H." <Walter.H at mathemainzel.info> wrote:
> >On 03.11.2018 08:44, yf chu wrote:
> >> I have a website with millions of pages.
> >>
> >does 'millions of pages' also mean 'millions of files on the file system'?
> >
> >just a hint - has nothing to do with any file system as its universal:
> >e.g. when you have 10000 files
> >don't store them in one folder, create 100 folders with 100 files in each;
> >
> >there is no file system that handles millions of files in one folder
> >or with limited resources (e.g. RAM)

Stephen J Smoogen.