[CentOS] fingerprint reader on C-7 ???

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sat Nov 3 20:17:19 UTC 2018

On Sat, November 3, 2018 12:48 pm, Fred Smith wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I just got a new (to me) used laptop (HP EliteBook 8530p) and find that
> it has a fingerprint reader.
>
> Wondering if it could be made to work for me (Centos-7) I did a lot
> of googling (well, actually duck-duck-go-ing)

You made my day! duckduckgo.com for me always!

> and found a ton of hits
> on either setting it up in Windoze, or others wondering if it can be
> used in Linux. Some info on setting it up in Ubuntu, and a couple of
> pages on setting it up in Fedora, pages that were ten years old, or so.
>
> Found an academic paper on a group that wrote portable tools in Java
> that allegedly enable it in a cross-platfor manner, but not the
> software itself.
>
> Does anyone here have any better information on if it is possible,
> and if so, how?

I have fingerprint reader on my laptop, and I never configure that with my
fingerprints. If someone is evil enough, they can beat my password out of
me and walk away with my laptop and password. I don't want them walk away
with my finger to use on fingerprint reader ;-) There are other
considerations similar to using dickdickgo but not google. Stolen password
you can change. What about stolen fingerprint metrics?

Thanks again for duckduckgo!

Valeri

> thanks in advance!
>
> Fred