[CentOS] command in kickstart file to write disklabel?

Valeri Galtsev

galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 8 02:07:18 UTC 2018

Dear All,

At some point after release of CentOS 7 (though this thing might have
started before, it is just when _I_ noticed it) I discovered that if I
stick into machine drive without disk label, and then do kickstart
installation, the command in kickstart file

clearpart --initlabel

does not work. Even worse: if I just use GUI installer the drive is not
listed between available disks. If I switch in the same installer to some
virtual console

Ctrl + Alt + F2

I can see that the kernel installer run under definitely sees the drive:
/dev/sda is present. It must be an issue beaten to death, but somehow my
search ability fails on this particular one (I am not "googling" but
"duckduckgo-ing", though this shouldn't matter the problem as usually must
be myself).

Can someone suggest something? I know it is trivial to just create
disklabel before sticking drive in machine, but once I'm using kickstart,
any need in separate manual steps feels really lame.

Thanks a lot for all your help in advance!

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago