[CentOS] Hypervisor and access method for workstation VM

Barak Korren bkorren at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 18:30:32 UTC 2018

Hi Barry,

Please note that I've been involved with oVirt for a while now, so my
answers may be slightly biased...

בתאריך יום ב׳, 19 בנוב׳ 2018, 17:30, מאת Barry Brimer <lists at brimer.org>:

> I am planning to set up a virtualization host to host a Linux workstation
> VM. It may also host a Windows VM down the road but not on the initial
> list. I'm looking for suggestions as far as:
>
> * oVirt or CentOS? (Did I miss a CentOS equivalent of RHV somewhere?) I'm
> not interested in running VMware. Is it easy to upgrade oVirt or is it
> disruptive to do so?

Well, I wouldn't say that's an either/or question as oVirt is pretty much
built on top of CentOS these days.

Now, oVirt only really becomes interesting when you have 3 or more
hypervisor hosts. In that configuration you can have pretty smooth
zero-downtime upgrades.

If youre only going to have one host, I'd opt for CentOS + qemu-kvm-ev +
Cockpit/virt-manager/boxes.

* Does anyone have real world experience running SPICE over a WAN with
> VPN? I hear great things about SPICE .. but haven't heard much about how
> it performs over a WAN .. which in this case is the Internet with an
> SSL-based VPN.

Well, I've used it with OpenVPN over the internet and it worked ok. But so
far only for server textual consoles, so can't say much about how well
would it stream GUI.

I have plenty of Linux experience and am very comfortable with a command

line and config files, but wouldn't mind a graphical interface for some of
> the virtualization components. I may expand to a second virtualization
> host at some point, but it is not in the initial plan.

Well the virt-* suit of commands and virsh give you a lot of power in the
command line. Especially virt-builder that can give you working pre-built
VM images, but sometimes it's just quicker to get up and running with a GUI
tool like virt-manager.