[CentOS] CentOS 7 + GNOME : all icon themes broken after update from CR

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Nov 20 13:48:43 UTC 2018

On 11/18/2018 09:01 AM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Le 18/11/2018 à 15:30, Lamar Owen a écrit :
>> I did the update from CR, and have some pretty serious issues.  Until
>> I blew away (by mv to a different name) the .local and .config
>> directory trees, I couldn't log in to GNOME at all.  After doing
>> that, I can log in, but if I do any actual work, GNOME crashes, and
>> abrt-cli from root in vc 2 tells me that gnome-shell got a SIGSEGV. I
>> figure all of the updates aren't in CR yet, so I'm going to pull out
>> my backup machine and work with it until I see if CR gets more
>> updates.
>
> Since Red Hat decided to roll in some major GNOME updates between minor
> releases, I'm seriously beginning to wonder if I won't be better off
> using Fedora on desktops. That's a real question, not a rhetorical one,
> BTW. I'm currently experimenting with Fedora 29 and a minimal KDE, and
> the result is quite nice.
>
> https://github.com/kikinovak/fedora-desktop-kde
>
> On servers I'll always use CentOS though.
>
> :o)

I'm actually surprised with the jump in gnome versions between minor
point releases.  I guess they trying to strike a different balance for
the GUI / Desktop and Server services.  I actually do appreciate it for
my desktops.  GNOME3 is the default (and likely the most tested) desktop.

There are new gnome-session and gdm updates that I am getting ready to
push to CR .. gnome-session-3.28.1-6.el7.src.rpm and
gdm-3.28.2-10.el7.src.rpm .. no idea what the actually do yet, but you
can see if they fix any of your issues by looking at the upstream
errata, etc.