[CentOS] Upping my game on web work

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 21 16:29:51 UTC 2018

On 11/21/18 9:26 AM, mark wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 09:02:38 -0500
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> What 'simple' web support tools do we have here?
>>
>> Libreoffice can create a html page from a word processor document.
>>
>> I've done that a few times where I do the basic layout with libreoffice
>> and then hand-edit the html to fine tune it.  But my web pages aren't
>> usually anything exceptionally fancy.
>>
> No word processor produces anything but absolute 100% pure crap HTML.
> Every single line has every possible option, and a few extras.
>
> The one HTML editor I ever tried, Quanta, had the lovely habit of, once
> you hit ?display", when you went back to editing, it has left justified
> *every* *line*.
>
> I hate to suggest it, but something like WordPress might be what you want,
> if that's not overkill.
>
>        mark "my web pages proudly built in vi"

This is the great advise. Basically, your problem is in asking experts
what one can do without willing to gain some expertise. Mark gave nice
advise though he himself just edits html (and so do I) when necessary
(and my editor is vi as well, even more: real vi on FreeBSD, not vim -
that is "vi improved" - that ships with Linuxes).

More productive would be searching web for something like "how to create
nice webpage without any knowledge" or similar.

Note that I didn't use common these days word for searching as I for one
am avoiding that particular search service and am using duckduckgo.com
(search for answer on the web if it unclear why ;-)

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago