[CentOS] CentOS 7 package not present in Red Hat EL 7 - qt-assistant

Toralf Lund

toralf.lund at pgs.com
Tue Nov 27 13:46:41 UTC 2018

I'm using CentOS 7 for development of software that is sometimes used on
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7. I conjunction with an update of one of the
applications, I asked some Red Hat users to install the Qt 4 Assistant
application via the qt-assistant package (which is used by a "help"
function in our software.) It seemed like there was no such package in
the Red Hat package set, however, and I also see no mention of it in
"package manifests" like
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/package_manifest/chap-base-workstation-variant.
Yet I can install the package from the "base" repository on my CentOS
machine.

Questions: Isn't CentOS base supposed to contain exactly the same
packages as Red Hat Enterprise, except in some special cases that relate
to distribution information, installation sources etc.? Does anyone know
what's going on with the specific package I mention above?

- Toralf