[CentOS] [External] Re: CentOS 7 package not present in Red Hat EL 7 - qt-assistant

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Nov 28 18:24:13 UTC 2018

On 11/28/18 2:59 AM, Toralf Lund wrote:
> On 28/11/18 01:24, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 5:47 AM Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com> wrote:
>>> I'm using CentOS 7 for development of software that is sometimes used on
>>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7. I conjunction with an update of one of the
>>> applications, I asked some Red Hat users to install the Qt 4 Assistant
>>> application via the qt-assistant package (which is used by a "help"
>>> function in our software.) It seemed like there was no such package in
>>> the Red Hat package set, however, and I also see no mention of it in
>>> "package manifests" like
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__access.redhat.com_documentation_en-2Dus_red-5Fhat-5Fenterprise-5Flinux_7_html_package-5Fmanifest_chap-2Dbase-2Dworkstation-2Dvariant&d=DwICAg&c=KV_I7O14pmwRcmAVyJ1eg4Jwb8Y2JAxuL5YgMGHpjcQ&r=Q0oqxzgUp3xCCIiJDwS-RbNDndQ-KZDhj8wwveNoqU4&m=_4_0150hjtOLtAJXVP5zsLejT24DPdjAliL_UNY3-sM&s=y1xWd0RO1A06XoaFYkAGvj7ud88YK9MLgZY83UDe8Po&e=.
>>>
>>> Yet I can install the package from the "base" repository on my CentOS
>>> machine.
>>>
>>> Questions: Isn't CentOS base supposed to contain exactly the same
>>> packages as Red Hat Enterprise, except in some special cases that relate
>>> to distribution information, installation sources etc.? Does anyone know
>>> what's going on with the specific package I mention above?
>>>
>>> - Toralf
>> The qt-assistant package is available in RHEL-7:
>>
>> $ sudo yum list qt-assistant
>>
>> qt-assistant.x86_64   1:4.8.7-2.el7    rhel-7-server-optional-rpms
> Right. I notice the word "optional" here - I guess this is where some of
> the confusion comes from, as the Red Hat doc mentioned above does not
> say anything about optional packages, it just mentions base and
> "supplementary" channels. Evidently, optional rpms are not enabled on
> the system mentioned earlier...
>
> Also, this must mean that CentOS "base" is not the same as Red Hat
> "base". Right?

CentOS has no need for Workstation, Server, Client, Compute Node
designations .. nor the need for optional branches.

Those are all things that are in place to create a different price point
(Server vs. Client vs. Workstation vs. Computer Node .. those cost
different amounts and contain different package sets of various sizes,
more stuff costs more).  CentOS is Free .. CentOS therefore contains all
of those things.

The optional RPMs come with a different level of support .. CentOS has
NO support .. so CentOS contains ALL optional RPMs.

So, in short .. the file manifest for CentOS contains all the RPMs from
rebuild the RHEL source code that is included in the  Workstation,
Server, Client, Compute Node designations .. including the optional
channels.