[CentOS] [OT] Where to buy S/MIME ??

Alice Wonder alice at domblogger.net
Thu Nov 29 04:43:27 UTC 2018

On 11/28/2018 07:58 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 11/27/18 3:47 PM, Alice Wonder wrote:
>> I actually went for a more complex scenario, I've created my own CA
>> complete with CRL.
>

> OK.  That means fewer certificates for your peers to install over time,
> but is otherwise no better than self-signed.
>

>> It's nice because with S/MIME you really want two certs - one for
>> signing (where ecdsa can be used) and one for when you need to receive
>> encrypted.
>

> IIRC, an S/MIME client should be able to install your public cert and
> encrypt messages sent to you with no user interaction.  With
> Thunderbird, if I reply to a signed message, I can encrypt the reply.
>  From a usability standpoint, I really want to have just one
> certificate.  The easier it is to send me encrypted messages, the more
> likely it is that messages will be secure.

A) For one certificate to do both it has to be an RSA cert but the
primary use of S/MIME is signing where RSA is excessively bloated
compared to ECDSA.

B) Certs for encryption have to have a backup key somewhere so there
isn't data loss if I lose the private key, and that key needs to be w/o
a pass phrase in case something happens to me and someone else needs
access to the encrypted messages.

But having such a backup means it isn't safe to use for digital signing
because the backup is a theft risk, so signing with that key to prove it
is me isn't a great idea.

>> Web browsers are applications that exist for the explicit purpose of
>> downloading and executing untrusted code. It does not seem like that
>> is a very wise environment to use for generating long term
>> cryptography keys. It really doesn't.
>

> On the other hand, if you don't trust your browser's cryptography
> implementation, you definitely should not be using your browser for
> secure communication (https).

https is handled by a TLS library outside the browser, which is vastly
different than in browser generation of private keys.