[CentOS] fingerprint reader on C-7 ???

Sat Nov 3 17:48:35 UTC 2018
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

Hi all!

I just got a new (to me) used laptop (HP EliteBook 8530p) and find that
it has a fingerprint reader.

Wondering if it could be made to work for me (Centos-7) I did a lot
of googling (well, actually duck-duck-go-ing) and found a ton of hits
on either setting it up in Windoze, or others wondering if it can be
used in Linux. Some info on setting it up in Ubuntu, and a couple of
pages on setting it up in Fedora, pages that were ten years old, or so.

Found an academic paper on a group that wrote portable tools in Java
that allegedly enable it in a cross-platfor manner, but not the
software itself.

Does anyone here have any better information on if it is possible,
and if so, how?

thanks in advance!

Fred

                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.