[CentOS] Tools/mechanisms for the management of access permissions in big filebased datasets

Tue Nov 27 13:25:45 UTC 2018
Frank Thommen <list.centos at drosera.ch>

Hello,

we are currently managing access permissions through classical
user-group-others permissions on a multi-petabyte directory tree with
partially very deep and broad directories.  Projects are represented by
directory trees and mapped through GIDs.  Lately we had lots of
"singular" permission request (one single user needs access to a single
dataset but should not be able to see all other datasets belonging to
the same project).  We realized, that the UGO model doesn't scale and is
becoming more and more unmanageable.

Can you recommend tools/mechanisms/technologies to overcome the
drawbacks of the UGO model?  We are thinking about some purely ACL based
mechanism (but are open to other ideas).  All filesystems in question
are mounted via NFSv4 and the clients are (almost) completely CentOS 7.x
hsots.  Ideally the tool would have some web UI and some kind of
(REST)API which allows us to modify permissions from our inhouse data
management application (which does /not/ manage permissions, just the
structure of the data).  Additionally it should be able to
visualize/report permissions in directory.

I wasn't very successful in googling possible candidates, hence the
question to the list.

Cheers
frank