[CentOS] Red Hat is Planning To Deprecate KDE on RHEL By 2024

Sat Nov 3 02:31:56 UTC 2018
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On 11/2/18 3:35 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> >

> >> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/02/rhel_deprecates_kde/
> >>
> >> That's still several years in the future, of course.
> >>
> >> I use Mate on all of my machines rather than Gnome or KDE and I'm sure
> >> many of you fine folks do the same.
> >>
> >> But it's interesting nonetheless.
> >
> > I one of the few (?) people who use "none of the above" (meaning all of the
> > "modern" desktop managers).  I use fvwm in MWM mode and have a Tcl/Tk coded
> > "menu manager" program.  My screen looks almost like a 1980s vintage
> > VaxStation 3000 running DECWindows.  Right now on C6 and using as little of
> > Gnome2 as it will let me (one panel).  File Manage set to /bin/true. No
> > "start" menu nonsense, no desktop icons either, just a fvwm iconbox for
> > running programs and a 10 element Workspace switcher.  And yes, I use actual
> > xterms.
> >
> Indeed, my alternatives to Mate would/may be one the these.
> Interestingly, some people when they see my screen (I'm sysadmin
> supporting a couple of Departments, about 300 people) ask "what Linux
> distribution do you have". I have to explain that that is Mate desktop
> environment... and it is actually FreeBSD, not Linux I run on my
> workstation. I don't know, it sounds like even people who are quite
> familiar with Linux to even ask that question, are not that familiar
> that that is the Desktop Environment for X11 that mostly defines "look
> and feel". World is different from what it was a decade ago ;-)

Yeah, there are very few of us that completely skipped
MS-DOS/MS-Windows/MacOS-Clasic and *never* used a graphical file manager or
any of the eye-candy that people now believe is "standard" or "normal".  I
went from VMS on a VT<whatever> to a VAXStation 2000 to a VAXStation 3000, to
DECStation 5000, to Linux, with some time spent on CP/M-68K and OS-9/68000, as
well as SunOS, IRIX, etc.  *I* have never owned a machine running any verison
of MS-Windows (I did have a box that dual booted MS-DOS and Linux).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933