[CentOS] OT: good free email service ?

Sat Nov 10 17:42:09 UTC 2018
Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at PoMec.Net>

On 11/09/2018 12:07 PM, Warren Young wrote:

> > https://protonmail.com/
>
> Aside from semi-charitable organizations like that, I wouldn’t expect good free email
> service to exist.  It’s seriously complicated to run a properly-configured email server.
>
> The last time I looked into it, there were something like 24 separate RFCs an SMTP-only
> server had to implement, and much of that complexity spills over into the administration
> side, such as DKIM setup.  Then you have everything outside of the protocol such as spam
> filtering, blacklist/greylist/whitelist maintenance, TLS key updates, OS updates, etc.
>
> Expect to pay for what you use, either by throwing a whole lot of your own time at it or
> paying someone to spend that time on your behalf.  Unless you’re doing this for
> educational or professional reasons, where the time spent is paid back handsomely, it’s
> probably a better trade to pay someone to handle it for you.

Plus there's constantly dealing with spam lists.

I run my own, using postfix + dovecot + roundcube, but because I can't
afford my own subnet - I end up constantly on spam blacklists when
someone else on my subnet sends spam.

The blacklists don't care that I've had these IP addresses for years,
never spam, etc. - they just see someone on the subnet spam and they
blacklist the entire subnet and you have to fill out their form to get
removed, often to just be added again in a week.

It's a real pain the arse.

Dear Valeri,

Although I could not agree more with what everyone has said about the difficulty of having
your own mail server, I believe it is still worthwhile.  I would encourage you to do it
yourself or be willing to pay someone else to provide the service for you.  In my opinion
you can't pay them enough :) If you manage your own, at least you will have privacy and the
ability to control your own information.

Good Luck!!!

Greg