[CentOS] RHEL 8 Public Beta Released

Tue Nov 27 21:25:34 UTC 2018
Brendan Conoboy <blc at redhat.com>

On 11/27/18 1:47 PM, Yan Li wrote:
> On 11/27/18 11:43 AM, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:
>>> Just wondering, are Software Collections on the trail of EOL now?
>>>
>>> Application Streams the new way to do?
>>
>> This answers my own question :-)
>>
>> https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/11/15/rhel8-introducing-appstreams/
>>

> Also this one:
> https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/11/27/what-no-python-in-rhel-8-beta/
>
> Being able to choose Python versions is great. Although I imagine that
> it will mean more work for our beloved CentOS buddies.
The article title is a little misleading, so for those who don't have
the time to read the full article and its references: There is no
forced default python, but there are 3 different Pythons in RHEL 8 Beta:

Platform-python: This is an off-to-the-side Python version for use by
other RHEL 8 packages.
Python 2.7: Offered as a module that can optionally be installed
Python 3.6: Offered as a module that can optionally be installed

The upshot is that RHEL 8 will be able to offer newer versions of
Python in years to come, but end users can install the version that
meets their needs and change the version over time as their needs
change.

--
Brendan Conoboy / RHEL Development Coordinator / Red Hat, Inc.